Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kony2012 and the professional journalist



This is a digression from my favorite field, technology. Usually I don't feel so compel to broadcast my points of view about non-technical stuff. But the viral video of Kony 2012 has produced so much rage inside me that I have to speak about it.
I knew about LRA before watching the video, I knew the government had sent a group of military experts to help the Uganda's army stop LRA and their crimes. I learned about when it happened, it was 'covered' in the news at the time, last months of 2011. But, probably like many others that heard the news, I forgot about it. I did not research, I did not feel the pain of those children.
Now it comes the video. Millions of people are shaken inside, millions have cried with Jacob and for the thousands of others like him. The producer artfully touches the emotional fiber of the viewer in his attempt to involve him in his crusade. His goal, bring Joseph Kony, a Uganda's warlord to the spotlight, in the hope that public awareness might bring governments around the world to join forces capturing Kony.

That's the main idea portrayed by the video. Is the video successful ? Yes, millions now know about the atrocities committed by Kony and others of his kind.

Why I am upset? Have you seen CNN or MSNBC lately? Probably Fox News too, I can't  muster the strength to watch Fox News, sorry..., but I suppose they are having the same spin in this story. If not, please let me know. At least, CNN and MSNBC which I watch regularly, have shown several fragments discussing the video. For them, the video was well produced, but misleading. Why, because the producer said that Kony is in Uganda, he is not anymore.
CNN brought one girl who suffered on herself the evilness of Kony's army. Her point of view, is that the video is wrong because it makes Kony a celebrity, and he does not deserve to be a celebrity. She thinks that the tormented children were the ones that should be in the center of the video.
I have nothing against this girl. That's her opinion,  That video, brought her to CNN, and that video stirred  the public opinion about a subject NONE of the professional journalist of CNN, MSNBC (again I don't know about FOX), had given any important coverage so far. The journalist failed, if they ever tried, to make the public aware and outraged of what has been happening for years in Africa. But now they dare to criticize the producer of this video, an outsider, not one of us, the respectable  journalists of the big media chains.
How important is, if this Kony is or is not in Uganda right now?. How important is that the video does not give any importance to the Uganda government army?. How important is that Kony is on the run? How important is that now he is killing fewer people than before? Isn't  it much more important that the world knows now and demand an end to this criminal?

Kony is not as relevant now as he was before, granted. But where in the world were these critics  while Kony was relevant and children in Uganda were been killed, mutilated and raped for years.  They had the chance of telling the world while it was happening, but they did not. On the other hand if a random guy start playing good basketball in the NBA, (remember Linsanity?), they can't stop writing about it.
How pathetic,


Now I feel better,

No comments:

Post a Comment